One of the central reasons you are pursuing a graduate degree at JHU is to take your career path to greater heights. The Engineering for Professionals program offers a career and life design educator, Mark Savage to help accomplish this goal, whether it be resumes/cover letters, networking, job search strategy, interviewing, etc.
Handshake Career Management System
All JHEP students are provided a Handshake account that must be activated by students who wish to access it. To activate your account, go to handshake.jhu.edu, sign in with your JHED ID, and input your editable profile. Your account will remain active until you are no longer affiliated with JHU; alumni can reactivate their accounts with a revised email account for up to five years.
On Handshake, you can:
- Make appointments with Mark by going to
- Appointments < Explore Career Options < Homewood: Engineering Masters Students < View Available Appointment Days/Times
- All times are listed in Eastern Time Zone and are scheduled for one hour (despite Handshake confirmations of 30 minutes).
- If you don’t see a convenient time, email your availability to Mark. Evening appointments are available upon request.
- Virtual drop-in Office Hours
- Available with Mark during the academic year as posted on Handshake Events and vary by semester. Office hours with with other Life Design Lab staff are available weekdays and some evenings.
- View and sign up for career-focused programming, workshops and seminars, alumni and employer presentations, etc.
- View and apply for job and internship postings (mostly entry level) posted specifically for JHU Students.
- Apply with an uploaded resume/cover letter.
- Access networking and job search resources (under Homewood)
- Disability, diversity, and inclusion resources, explore your career interests, finding jobs and internships, international students, networking, resumes, cover letters, and interviewing.
- Online Resources (under university-wide)
- What Can I Do With This Major?: Job functions, industries, professional associations, advice for breaking into related industries.
- V-Mock: Get a one-minute resume review using artificial intelligence; upload a PDF resume and get a scored critique in minutes (use 10x per calendar year)—results may not always be perfect; refer any questions to Mark.
- One Hop: JHU Alumni Mentoring Site
- Forager One: Research postings on the JHU campus.
- Case Coach: Practice case interviews for consulting firms and others (access via Handshake/Resources)
- Goinglobal: For international students seeking jobs in the U.S. or in their home country, or for U.S. citizens seeking jobs and job search protocols in 190 countries, including the U.S. (access via Handshake/Resources)
- My Visa Jobs.com: Tool for international students seeking jobs in the U.S. (access via Handshake/Resources)
- Recorded Video Seminars on resumes, cover letters, networking, elevator pitch, and interviewing
- For international students: telling your story; U.S. job search protocols; employment in the U.S.
Johns Hopkins University Life Design Lab
(previously the Career Center)
The Johns Hopkins University Life Design Lab connects with students, via programming, experiential alumni and employer networking, and job opportunities.
We offer webinars throughout the year that are designed to address issues online and part-time graduate students might face in their careers. These webinars are taught by experts from the Johns Hopkins University Career Center and other organizations.
Recently held career-focused webinars include:
You can network through LinkedIn and OneHop, an online database and interactive community of current students and alumni with career placement opportunities.
Writing Workshop Webinars
Offered at least twice a year, our writing workshop webinars provide useful information for graduate engineering students in the areas of writing, communication, and presentation development. These webinars are taught by experts from the Whiting School of Engineering’s Center for Leadership Education.
Recently held writing workshop webinars include: