There are several forms of financial assistance accessible to part-time and online graduate students enrolled in graduate and certificate studies at Johns Hopkins University.

Many students can benefit from employee education assistance programs offered by their employer, in which the employer pays for part or all of their tuition. Students should work directly with their employers to understand the exact terms of the company’s education assistance program to understand how they can best take advantage of this opportunity. Once these terms are understood, students should use JHU’s Third Party Payers system to upload their contracts online and keep track of each step in the payment process.

Students whose tuition is paid by their employer should begin processing requests with their employers well before registration deadlines to ensure that payment is processed. If payment is not processed, students will not be able to register for courses. Students are ultimately responsible for all costs associated with their registration.

These opportunities are determined by the employer organized independently of the University.

Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals provides a unique tuition waiver available to qualified Maryland high school STEM teachers.

At present, the Engineering for Professionals program does not offer scholarships, but as the program continues to grow, more opportunities may become available. However, federal financial aid in the form of student loans is available to graduate degree candidates who are enrolled in two or more courses per term. To receive these loans, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®).

The mission of The National GEM Consortium is to enhance the value of the nation’s human capital by increasing the participation of underrepresented groups (African Americans, American Indians, and Hispanic Americans) at the master’s and doctoral levels in engineering and science.  Johns Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering currently participates in the GEM Master’s Fellows Program which, in partnership with an industry sponsor, provides a full tuition waiver in addition to a stipend.

Fellowship Details

If awarded, the fellowship is provided for three terms with an option for a fourth-term extension. The award includes a full tuition waiver for all courses, matriculation fee, graduation fee, university-sponsored health insurance, and a stipend of $7,000 per term, during the fall and spring terms. Tuition will be waived for summer courses as well, but the stipend is not awarded during that term. Johns Hopkins Engineering will award up to two GEM fellowships per academic year.

Entrance Eligibility Requirements

Students must be selected by GEM and then admitted to a Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals program. Students cannot apply for GEM funding after applying to Johns Hopkins University; they must apply to GEM first.

Retention Requirements

Students must maintain a 2.8 GPA and full-time enrollment status (i.e., they must be enrolled in three or more courses) during the fall and spring terms.

Johns Hopkins University is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for the training of veterans, and the widows and children of deceased veterans, under provisions of the various federal laws pertaining to veterans’ educational benefits.

More information about these benefits and enrollment procedures can be obtained through the website of the Office of SEAM, or through SEAM’s online form.

Students eligible for veterans’ educational benefits will register and pay their university bills in the same manner as other students. Reimbursement is made by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on a monthly basis. The amount of reimbursement is determined by the veteran’s number of dependents and course load.

To obtain reimbursement, a veteran must comply with the following procedures.

Initial Enrollment. The veteran must first apply and be admitted to one of the schools of Johns Hopkins University. He or she then obtains an Application for Program of Education or Training (DVA Form 22-1990) from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

After completing the application, the veteran sends it, with a certified copy of appropriate discharge papers, to the following address:

Office of the Registrar, Veterans Affairs, 3400 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21218-2681


When transferring from another college or university, the veteran must obtain a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Form (DVA Form 22-1995) from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and submit the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.


Any student who received veterans’ benefits while attending Johns Hopkins University during the preceding term or summer session, and who plans to re-enroll with no change of objective, must advise the Registrar’s Office when submitting registration materials that he or she wishes to be re-certified under the provisions of the original DVA Form 22-1990.

Students receiving veterans’ benefits must pursue a program of courses that leads toward the exact objective (i.e., a degree or certificate) indicated on the original DVA application. Any change in program or objective requires submission of a Request for Change of Program (DVA Form 22-1995).

Veteran students are required to advise the Registrar’s Office immediately of any change in their program or status (i.e., add/drops) that might affect the amount of their monthly payment from the DVA. Failure to do so will cause the DVA to seek restitution from the veteran for the overpayment of benefits.

Standards of Progress

Continuation of DVA payments is dependent on the veteran meeting the academic standards established by the university for all students (i.e., veterans and non-veterans alike). The veteran must also meet any standards of progress that are or may be established by DVA regulations.

If the student fails to meet these standards, benefits will be suspended until the DVA completes a review of the student’s progress and determines that the benefits may be resumed.

Yellow Ribbon Tuition Assistance Program

Johns Hopkins Engineering participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to eligible veterans.

Important Enrollment Definitions

  • Full-Time Student: Students who are enrolled in three or more courses each term.
  • Half-Time Student: Students who are enrolled in two courses each term.
  • Part-Time Student: Students who are enrolled in one course each term.

Office of Student Financial Services

Student Accounts works to assist you in the areas of financial aid and student accounts. For questions, please feel free to give us a call at 410-516-8028.