Dr. Farid Ahmed
- 695.742.81 Digital Forensics Technologies and Techniques (Fall 2019)
- 695.742.31 Digital Forensics Technologies and Techniques (Spring 2020)
Dr. Ahmed is a senior professional staff at the JHU Applied Physics Laboratory (APL). Before joining APL in 2008, he has been teaching at the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department at the Catholic University of America, Washington, DC. During the same time, he was also working as a Summer Faculty Fellow at the Naval Research Laboratory. Prior to that he worked in the Digital Watermarking industry for two years. His research and professional interests include Signal/Image Processing, Information Assurance, Malware Analysis, Steganography/Watermarking, and Pattern Recognition. He has over 50 Journal and Conference publications in these areas and possesses 4 US patents in Digital Watermarking.
Dr. Ahmed is an associate editor of the EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. He also serves on the program committee of a number of International conferences. He is a senior member of IEEE and member of SPIE. He is also a member of ISC2,a Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) and Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP). At JHU EP program Dr. Ahmed taught the courses ‘Foundations of Information Assurance’ and ‘Digital Forensics Technologies and Techniques’. Over the years, he also taught courses like Intelligent Multimedia, Computer and Network Security, Cryptography, Secure Programming, and Digital Design at different institutions.
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Dayton
Publications1. “From measurements to metrics: PCA-based indicators of cyber anomaly,” Farid Ahmed, Tommy Johnson, Sonia Tsui, to be presented at the Cyber Sensing 2012 (part of SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing symposium), April 2012.
2. “Information Theoretic Effects of JPEG Compression on Image Steganography,” Ira Moskowitz (NRL), Farid Ahmed, and Patricia Lafferty (CUA), in International Journal of Computers and Applications, ACTA Press, 2010.
3. “Fingerprint Reference Verification method using a Phase-encoding based Watermarking Technique,” Farid Ahmed and Marie K B Selvanadin, Journal of Electronic Imaging, 17(1), 1-9 (2008).
4. Farid Ahmed and Cheryl Resch, “Characterizing cryptographic primitives for lightweight digital image encryption,” to appear in Proc. SPIE vol. 7351, Mobile Multimedia/Image Processing, Security, and Applications 2009.
5. “A Velocital Information Feature for Charting Spatio-Temporal Changes in Digital Image Sequences,” G. J. Power, M. A. Karim, and Farid Ahmed, Journal of Electronic Imaging, 8(2), 167-175 (1999).
6. “Integrated Fingerprint Verification method using a composite-signature based watermarking technique,” Farid Ahmed, Opt. Eng. 46, 087005 (2007)
7. “A Dual Fourier-Wavelet Domain Authentication-Identification Watermark,” Farid Ahmed, Optics Express, 15(8), 4804-4813 (2007).
8. “Stego Scrubbing --- A New Direction for Image Steganography,” Ira S. Moskowitz, Patricia A. Lafferty and Farid Ahmed,Proc. 8th Annual IEEE SMC Information Assurance Workshop (IAW 2007) United States Military Academy, West Point, New York, 119-126 (2007)
9. “Digital Watermarking for Digital Rights Management,” with Cecilia Gomes in Handbook of Research on Modern Systems Analysis and Design Technologies and Applications, Chapter XXVII, Igi Global, 2008.
10. Ira S. Moskowitz and Farid Ahmed. Naval Research Lab. “Methods and Systems for Frequency Domain Watermarking Using a Phase-based Filter Signature,” 2007, United States Patent 7313250.
Honors and Awards
- Naval Research Laboratory Invention Award (2007)