Dr. Zhiyong Xia
Dr. Zhiyong Xia is a principal professional staff in JHU/APL’s REDD department. Dr. Xia has an extensive experience in the design of polymer nanofiber and microfiber for water filtration, advanced composites and biological engineering. He has more than fifteen years of industrial experience (Eastman Chemical Company, Rohm and Haas, and British Petroleum). Dr. Xia has more than 50 technical papers in the structure-property of polymeric materials, and 9 granted US patents in polymer nano-technology field.
- Ph D Mechanical Engineering, Texas A and M University
Publications(1) Zhiyong Xia and Jon Koposky “Effect of High Aspect Ratio Fillers on the Performance of Styrene-Butadiene Rubber” Journal of Macromolecular Science-Part B Physics (2017 ASAP) (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222348.2017.1385362).
(2) Zhiyong Xia, Lance Baird, Natasha Zimmerman (podium) “Functionalized aluminum oxide hydroxide for heavy metal removal,” 254th ACS National Meeting & Exposition August 20-24, 2017 - Washington, DC.
(3) Zhiyong Xia, Lance Baird, Natasha Zimmerman, Matthew Yeager “Heavy metal ion removal by thiol functionalized aluminum oxide hydroxide nanowhiskers” Applied Surface Science 416 (2017) 565–573.
(4) Daneil Lewis, Vitor Tang, Nupur Jain, Zhiyong Xia and Sharon Gerecht “Collagen Fiber Architecture Regulates Hypoxic Sarcoma Cell Migration” ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering (2017 ASAP) (DOI:10.1021/acsbiomaterials.7b00056).
(5) Joon Eoh, Nian Shen, Jacqueline Burke, Swenja Hinerer, Zhiyong Xia, Katja Schenke-Layland, and Sharon Gerecht “Enhanced elastin synthesis and maturation in human vascular smooth muscle tissue derived from induced-pluripotent stem cells,” Acta Biomaterialia 52 (2017) 49–59.
(6) C. Hwang, P. Johnston, G. Gerstenblith, R. G. Weiss, G. F. Tomaselli, V. E. Bogdan, A. Panigrahi, A. Leszczynska and Z. Xia “Stem cell impregnated nanofiber stent sleeve for on-stent production and intravascular delivery of paracrine factors” Biomaterials 52 (2015) 318-326
(7) Z. Xia, M. Patchan, J. Maranchi and M. Trexler “Structure and relaxation in cellulose hydrogels” in prep to be submitted to J. APPL. POLYM. SCI. 2015, DOI: 10.1002/APP.42071
(8) Z. Xia, M. X. Colderon-colon, M. Trexler “Probing the banded structures in vitrified collagen gels” Acta Biomaterialia 10(2014)3615
(9) Z. Xia, M. Trexler, F. Wu, J.C. Jean and D. J. Van Horn “Free volume hole relaxation in molecularly oriented glassy polymers” Physical Review E. 89(2014) 022603.
(10) Z. Xia, M. Patchan, J. Maranchi, J. Elisseeff, M. Trexler “Determination of crosslinking density of hydrogels prepared from microcrystalline cellulose” J. Applied Polymer Science 127(2013) 4537.
(11) M. Patchan, J. Graham, Z. Xia, J. Maranchi, R. McCally, O. Schein, J. Elisseeff, M. Trexler “Synthesis and properties of regenerated cellulose-based hydrogels with high strength and transparency for potential use as an ocular bandage” Materials Science and Engineering C 33(2013)3069.
(12) Z. Xia, X. Calderon-Colon, M. Trexler, J. Elisseeff and Q. Guo “Thermal denaturation of type I collagen vitrified gels” Thermochimica Acta 527 (2012) 172.
(13) X. Calderon-colon, Z. Xia, J. L. Breidenich, D. G. Mulreany, Q. Guo, O. M. Uy, J. E. Tiffany, D. E. Freund, R. L. McCally, O. D. Schein, J. H. Elisseeff, M. M. Trexler “Structure and properties of collagen vitrigel membranes for ocular repair and regeneration applications” Biomaterials 33(2012) 8286.
(14) M. Patchan, L. Baird, Y. Rhim, E LaBarre, A. Maisano, R. Deacon, Z. Xia and J Benkoski “Liquid-filled metal microcapsules” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 4(2012)2406.
Honors and Awards
- JHUAPL 2016 invention of the year BP group-Helios Innovation Award 2010 (2016)