Ms. Karen Valenta
Information Systems Engineering
- 635.601.81 Foundations of Information Systems Engineering (Fall 2020)
- 635.601.82 Foundations of Information Systems Engineering (Fall 2020)
Karen Valenta has over 30 years of management, technical, and acquisitions experience in advanced technologies and programs within the Intelligence Community (IC). She has been a senior executive staff officer, systems engineer, program manager, chief information officer and COTR and has extensive experience implementing mission critical hardware and software engineering systems for the IC.
Valenta has managed diversified portfolios of projects over $1 billion. She has considerable program management experience and has successfully led diverse customer organizations in the effective use of innovative solutions to improve and reengineer business practices through new processes, tools, and systems.
Valenta’s responsibilities have included strategic and tactical planning, requirements management, contract management, and program oversight (including management of schedules, resources, tasks, deliverables, and risk). Among her key technical areas of experience are system architecture and design, computer and network operations, systems infrastructure, electronic messaging, information security, systems engineering, network engineering, software development, data management, collaboration, and IT training. Valenta also has served on award fee and source selection panels, cost teams, and technical management and evaluation teams. Over the course of her career, Valenta has managed thousands of employee and contractors in organizations of various sizes and has lead and participated on many study teams.
- B.A. Computer Science, Rutgers University
- M.S. Technology of Management, Management Information Systems, American University
- Senior Executive Fellow Government, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School
- Executive Scholar Management, Kellogg School, Northwestern University