Mr. John Hickey
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
John is an engineer that is passionate about improving health care, mentoring, teaching, and being involved in social entrepreneurship. John researches how new biomaterials can be used to stimulate and investigate the immune system. He completed the Preparing Future Faculty Program and developed the curriculum for two Immunoengineering courses while at Hopkins. He currently participates in Teaching as Research and was one of the winners of the first Teaching Shark Tank event at Hopkins to be able to develop a mobile application named Tcrunch.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, BYU
Publications4. Kosmides, A.K., Vicente F, Hickey, J.W., Schneck J.P. Separating T cell signaling components onto distinct magnetically-clustered nanoparticles boosts activation. Nano Letters. 2018.
5. Hickey, J.W., Vicente F, Howard, G.P., Mao H.Q., Schneck J.P. Biologically Inspired Design of Nanoparticle Artificial Antigen-Presenting Cells for Immunomodulation. Nano Letters. 2017.
6. Kosmides, A.K., Meyer, R.A., Hickey, J.W., Aje, K., Cheung, K.N., Green, J.J. and Schneck, J.P. Biomimetic biodegradable artificial antigen presenting cells synergize with PD-1 blockade to treat melanoma. Biomaterials. 2017. 118, pp.16-26.
7. Hickey JW, Santos JL, Williford JM, Mao HQ. Control of Polymeric Nanoparticle Size for Improved Therapeutic Delivery. Journal of Controlled Release. 2015.
8. Tam NK, Pitt WG, Perez KX, Handly E, Glenn AA, Hickey JW, Larsen BG. The role of multi-purpose solutions in prevention and removal of lipid depositions on contact lenses. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. 2014.
9. Tam NK, Pitt WG, Perez KX, Hickey JW, Glenn AA, Chin J, Liu XM, Maziarz EP. Prevention and Removal of Lipid Deposits by Lens Care Solutions and Rubbing. Optometry and Vision Science. 2014.
10. Liu J, Geng Y, Pound E, Gyawali S, Ashton JR, Hickey J, Woolley AT, Harb JN. Metallization of branched DNA origami for nanoelectronic circuit fabrication. ACS Nano. 2011;5(3):2240-7.
Honors and Awards
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy Fellow (2016)
- Teaching Academy Shark Tank Winner (2016)
- Teaching As Research Fellow (2015)