Dr. Nathaniel D. Bastian
Dr. Bastian is a decision analytics professional whose expertise lies in the scientific discovery and translation of actionable insights into effective decisions using algorithms, techniques, tools and technologies from operations research, data science, artificial intelligence, systems engineering, and economics to design, develop, deploy and operationalize intelligent decision-support systems and models for descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics. He is an author of over 50 journal articles and conference proceedings, several book chapters, and one textbook. Dr. Bastian is the recipient of numerous academic awards and honors to include a Fulbright Scholarship and National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, as well as multiple research grants. He serves as an Associate Editor for five journals, as well as Referee for over 20 journals. Dr. Bastian is an active member of MORS, INFORMS, ACM, IEEE, SIAM, AAAI and AAAS.
Dr. Bastian currently serves on the Executive Council of the Military Operations Research Society (MORS), as well as on the Council of the Military and Security Society within the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS). He also serves as a Member of the Information Science and Technology (ISAT) Study Group with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). Dr. Bastian also serves as a Senior Research Scientist and Adjunct Assistant Professor within the Intelligent Cyber-Systems and Analytics Research Laboratory at the Army Cyber Institute at the U.S. Military Academy, a Research Affiliate with the Artificial Intelligence Group within the Research and Exploratory Development Department at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, a Research Affiliate and Adjunct Assistant Professor within the Department of Operational Sciences at the Air Force Institute of Technology, a Research Affiliate with the Johns Hopkins University Institute for Assured Autonomy, as well as a Research Affiliate with the Penn State University Institute for Computational and Data Sciences. Dr. Bastian previously served as a Visiting Research Fellow at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, as well as a Distinguished Visiting Professor at the National Security Agency.
Dr. Bastian's current primary research areas include autonomous cyber decision-support systems, cyber modeling and simulation, and AI system assurance (security, robustness, reliability, and resilience).
- Optimization, simulation, statistical computing, machine/deep learning, intelligent systems, big data analytics
- Decision science, business analytics, applied econometrics, production economics, engineering management
- Computational stochastic optimization and learning for making inferences and decisions under uncertainty
- Game-theoretic network science, graph mining and social network analysis for real-world, complex networks
- Multiple objective optimization and data envelopment analysis for resource allocation decision-making
- Productivity and cost-effectiveness analysis using econometrics for organizational performance improvement
- B.S. Engineering Management (Electrical Engineering) w/ Honors, United States Military Academy
- M.S. Econometrics and Operations Research, Maastricht University
- M.Eng. Industrial Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- Ph.D. Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Pennsylvania State University