Dr. Hedy Alavi
Program Chair Environmental Engineering
Program Chair Environmental Engineering and Science
Program Chair Environmental Planning and Management
- 575.604.81 Principles of Environmental Engineering (Spring 2019)
- 575.742.81 Hazardous Waste Engineering and Management (Spring 2019)
- 575.604.81 Principles of Environmental Engineering (Summer 2019)
- Agricultural Engineering, Soil and Water (first class honor) Soil and Water, Jundi Shapour University
- M.S., Civil Engineering Civil Engineering, Ohio State University
- MBA Management, Johns Hopkins University
- Ph.D., Civil Engineeing Civil Engineering, Ohio State University
Assistant Dean, JHU Whiting School of Engineering
PublicationsAlavi, H.V., "Pattern Analysis of Benthic Boundary Layer Momentum and Sediment Transport," Ph.D. Dissertation, The Ohio State University, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Geodetic Science, Columbus, Ohio, June 1983, 471 pp. Advisor: Professor Keith W. Bedford; Co-advisor: Professor Robert S. Brodkey.
Alavi, H.V., "Oscillations in Sandusky Bay," M.S. Thesis, The Ohio State University, Department of Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering and Geodetic Science, Columbus, Ohio, June 1979, 153 pp. Advisor: Professor Keith W. Bedford; Co-advisor: Professor Vincent T. Ricca.
Brodkey, R.S., Y.G. Aouad, H. V. Alavi, and H. Eckelman, "Refinement of Pattern Recognition of Coherent Structures in Turbulent Shear Flows and Comparison between Detection Techniques," Lecture Notes in Physics: Flow of Real Fluids (G.E.A. Meier and F. Obermeier, Eds.), Vol. 235, 1985, pp. 279-291.
Bedford, K.W., H. V. Alavi, and R.S. Brodkey, "Spatial and Temporal Pattern Recognition of Sediment Resuspension Mechanisms," AGU/ASLO Oceans, San Antonio, Texas, Feb. 1982.
Bedford, K.W., R. Van Evra, and H. V. Alavi, "Ultrasonic Measurement of Sediment Resuspension," ASCE Hydraulic Division Conference, Jackson, Mississippi, August 1982.
Bedford, K.W., R.S. Brodkey, and H. V. Alavi, "A Review of Coherent Turbulent Structures and Its Relation to Sediment Resuspension," Presented at the Intl. Assoc. Great Lakes Research Conference, Columbus, Ohio, April 28-30, 1981.
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of “The 2007 Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association Excellence in Teaching Award” for the Whiting School of Engineering. This award was presented “In recognition of extraordinary dedication to University’s teaching mission, exceptional performance in the classroom, and a continuing commitment to tomorrow’s leaders.” (2007)
- Universities Council on Water Resources honoring Johns Hopkins with 2005 Education and Public Service Award for a new master's degree program in environmental planning and management (with a concentration in water resourcesplanning) co-developed by Professor John Boland in collaboration with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. (2005)
- Recipient of the 1998 Excellence in Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals, Whiting School of Engineering. (1998)
- Recipient of the 1992 Merit Award, State of Maryland, Department of the Environment (1992)
American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
American Society for Engineering Education