Dr. Mohammad H. Rafiei obtained his Ph.D. in civil engineering from Ohio State University in 2016. Since then, he has worked as a postdoc and a research scientist faculty member in civil, mechanical, and materials engineering, computer science, and medicine in different departments at the Ohio State University, Johns Hopkins University, and Georgia State University. Dr. Rafiei’s research focuses on advances in computer technology, such as advanced deep learning techniques, to bring automation to different engineering and medicine areas.
- PhD Civil Engineering, Ohio State University
Assistant Research Scientist, Johns Hopkins University
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
18. Rafiei, M. H., Gu, Y., & El-Awady, J. A. (2020). “Machine Learning of Dislocation-Induced Stress Fields and Interaction Forces.” JOM, 72(12), pp. 4380-4392.
17. Ma, C., Zhang, Z., Luce, B., Pusateri, S., Xie, B., Rafiei, M. H., & Hu, N. (2020). “Accelerated Design & Characterization of Non-Uniform Cellular Materials Via A Machine-Learning Based Framework.” Nature, Computational Materials, 6(1), 1-8.
16. Rafiei, M. H., Kelly, K. M., Borstad, A. L., Adeli, H., & Gauthier, L. V. (2019). “Predicting Improved Daily Use Of The More Affected Arm Poststroke Following Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy.” Physical Therapy, 99(12), 1667-1678.
15. Yang, Z., Rafiei, M.H., Hall, A., Thomas, C., Hali, A. M., Adeli, H., & Gauthier, L.V. (2018). “A Novel Methodology for Extracting & Evaluating Therapeutic Movements in Game-Based Motion Capture Rehabilitation Systems.” Journal of Medical Systems, 42(12), pp. 255-268.
14. Rafiei, M.H. & Adeli, H. (2018). “A Novel Unsupervised Deep Learning Model for Global & Local Health Condition Assessment of Structures.” Eng. Structures, 156, pp. 598-607.
13. Rafiei, M.H. & Adeli, H. (2018). “Novel Machine-Learning Model for Estimating Construction Costs Considering Economic Variables & Indexes.” ASCE, Journal of Construction Eng. & Mgmt., 144(12), 04018106.
12. Rafiei, M.H., & Adeli, H. (2017). “A New Neural Dynamic Classification Algorithm.” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks & Learning Systems, 28(12), pp. 3074-3083.
11. Rafiei, M.H. & Adeli, H. (2017). “A Novel Machine Learning‐Based Algorithm to Detect Damage in High‐Rise Building Structures.” The Structural Design of Tall & Special Buildings, 26(18), pp. 1-11.
10. Rafiei, M.H. & Adeli, H. (2017). “NEEWS: A Novel Earthquake Early Warning Model Using Neural Dynamic Classification & Neural Dynamic Optimization.” Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Eng., 100, pp. 417-427.
09. Rafiei, M.H., Khushefati, W.H., Demirboga, R., & Adeli, H. (2017a). “Supervised Deep Restricted Boltzmann Machine for Estimation of Concrete Strength.” ACI, Journal of Materials in Civil Eng., 114(2), pp. 237-244.
08. Rafiei, M.H., Khushefati, W.H., Demirboga, R., & Adeli, H. (2017b). “Novel Approach for Concrete Mix Design Using Neural Dynamics Model & The Virtual Lab Concept.” ACI, Journal of Materials in Civil Eng., 114(1), pp. 117-128.
07. George, S.H., Rafiei, M.H., Borstad, A., Gauthier, L., & Adeli, H. (2017). “Gross Motor Ability Predicts Response to Upper Extremity Rehabilitation in Chronic Stroke.” Behavioural Brain Research, 333, pp. 314-322.
06. George, S. H., Rafiei, M. H., Gauthier, L., Borstad, A., Buford, J. A., & Adeli, H. (2017). “Computer-Aided Prediction of Extent of Motor Recovery Following Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy in Chronic Stroke.” Behavioural Brain Research, 329, 191-199.
05. Rafiei, M.H., Khushefati, W.H., Demirboga, R., & Adeli, H. (2016). “Neural Network, Machine Learning, & Evolutionary Approaches for Concrete Material Characterization.” ACI, Journal of Materials in Civil Eng., 113(6), pp. 781-789.
04. Rafiei, M.H. & Adeli, H. (2016). “Sustainability in Highrise Building Design & Construction.” The Structural Design of Tall & Special Buildings, 25, pp. 643–658.
03. Rafiei, M.H. & Adeli, H. (2015). “A Novel Machine Learning Model for Estimation of Sale Prices of Real Estate Units.” ASCE, Journal of Construction Eng. & Mgmt., 142(2), 04015066.
02. Nobakht, M.B. & Rafiei, M.H. (2013). “Assessment of Variables Affecting Housing Prices.” Journal of Rāhburd, 67 (Summer), pp. 283-309.
01. Ghafooripour, A., Mehrdadi, A.A., & Rafiei, M.H. (2007). “Smart Steel Silos.” International Road & Structure Monthly Magazine, 42, pp. 50-57.
CONFERENCES & PRESENTATIONS
10. Ma, C., Zhang, Z., Luce, B., Gul, B., Rafiei, M.H., & Hu, N. “Design of Architected Materials by Machine Learning.” 56th Annual Technical Meeting, The Society of Eng. Science, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, October 13-15, 2019, Accepted 06/2019.
09. Rafiei, M.H. & Mohammadshirazi, F. “A Novel Multi-Paradigm Deep Learning-Based Model for Condition Assessment of Bridges Using Vibration Records from Smartphones.” 9th International Conference on Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure, St. Louis, MO, August 04-07, 2019, Accepted 10/2018.
08. Ma, C., Zhang, Z., Luce, B., Gul, B., Rafiei, M.H., & Hu, N. “A Machine Learning-Based Framework for Accelerated Design in Architected Materials.” Eng. Mechanics- Institute Conference 2019, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, Presented 06/2019.
07. Rafiei, M.H. & El-Awady, J. (2019) “A Machine Learning Approach for Estimating the Stress Field & Dislocation-Dislocation Interactions in Two-Dimensional Discrete Dislocation Dynamics.” 2019 MACH Conference, The Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute, Annapolis, MD, Presented 04/2019.
06. Rafiei, M.H. (2018). “Smart Systems for Damage & Plasticity Assessment of Materials.” Mechanics of Materials Seminar Series, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, Presented 09/2018.
05. Rafiei, M.H. (2018). “Multi-Paradigm Smart Systems & Crowdsensing for Health Monitoring of Structures.” S.C. Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA, Presented 05/2018.
04. Rafiei, M.H. (2018). “How to Analyze Large Neuroimaging Datasets Using Advanced Data Analytics.” The American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Webinar, Columbus, OH, Presented 04/2018.
03. Rafiei, M.H. (2018). “Advanced Data Analytics for Neuroimaging Problems.” The Brain Health & Performance Summit, Columbus, OH, Presented 04/2018.
02. George, S. H., Rafiei, M.H., Gauthier, L., Borstad, A., Buford, J. A., & Adeli, H. (2017). “Predicting the Extent of Post-Stroke Motor Recovery Under Two Modalities of Constraint-Induced Movement (CI) Therapy Using Enhanced Probabilistic Neural Networks (EPNN).” OSU Life Sciences Interdisciplinary Graduate Programs Symposium 2017, Columbus, OH, Presented 05/2017.
01. Rafiei, M.H. & Adeli, H. (2014). “A Novel Machine Learning Model for Estimation of Sale Prices of Real Estate Units.” The Graduate Eng. Research Colloquium, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, Presented 09/2014.
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)