Vassiliy Tsytsarev has a Ph.D. in Neuroscience in Saint-Petersburg State University, Russia. Soon after graduation he moved to Japan and started work in the Brain Science Institute of RIKEN, and the Human Brain Research Center, Kyoto. Functional brain mapping, neural circuits and different types of brain optical imaging are his main scientific interests as well as professional background. In Japan, Vassiliy worked in the field of auditory neuroscience using the intrinsic optical imaging (IOS) and voltage-sensitive dye imaging of the brain activity, at the same time being included in the fMRI team. After seven years in Japan he was moving to the US and switched to the somatosensory cortex, while maintaining interest in new methods of brain imaging. Vassiliy was working in few US universities, last years – in the University of Maryland (UMB). His current focus is on functional brain mapping, epileptic studies neural network and traumatic brain injury and regeneration, working mainly of the rodent somatosensory system, a perfect object for many types of neuroscience research, including models of neural diseases. Vassiliy is the author and co-author of more than 40 publications in peer-reviewed magazines, and few book chapters. He is a senior editor of the Journal of Neuroscience and Neuroengineering, member of the board of directors of Society for Brain Mapping and Theraputics (SBMT), and member of editorial board of a few scientific journals.
- Ph.D Neuroscience, Saint-Petersburg State University
Assistant Research Professor, University of Maryland
Tsytsarev V, Yamamoto V, Zhong N; Functional Brain Mapping: Methods and Aims ISBN 978-981-15-6882-4, DOI:10.1007/978-981-15-6883-1, Springer Nature, 2020
1. Tizabi Y, Getachew B, Tsytsarev V, Csoka AB, Copeland RL and Heinbocke lT; Central Nicotinic and Muscarinic Receptors in Health and Disease; In: Acetylcholine – Recent Advances and New Perspectives; Open Books, ISBN 978-1-80355-598-0; 2023 DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.112447
2. Tsytsarev V. Optical imaging of epileptic seizures; Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2023; N. V. Thakor (ed.), Handbook of Neuroengineering, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-5540-1_124
3. Kalchenko V, Harmelin A, Israeli D, Kateb B, Meglinski I, Tang Q, Thakor NV, Ignashchenkova A, Volnova A, and Vassiliy Tsytsarev; Transcranial Dynamic Fluorescence Imaging for the Study of the Epileptic Seizures; 10.1007/978-981-15-6883-1_3 Springers Nature, 2020
4. Tsytsarev V, Papkovsky D. Chapter 16: In vivo Brain Functional Imaging Using Oxygenation-related Optical Signal. In: Quenched-phosphorescence Detection of Molecular Oxygen; Royal Society of Chemistry, 2018, ISBN: 978-1-78801-175-4, UK
5. Tsytsarev V and Erzurumlu R. Voltage-Sensitive Dye and Intrinsic Signal Optical imaging: Advantages and Disadvantages for Functional Brain Mapping. In: Brain Mapping and Therapeutics, 2017 by CRC ISBN 9781482236859
6. Kateb B, Boehm F, Jalali B, Tsytsarev V, Yamamoto V, Jalali B, Backer D, Pikul B, Yashar P, and Chen Y. History of Brain Mapping and Neurophotonics: from Technological Discoveries to Brain Initiative. In: Brain Mapping and Therapeutics, 2017 by CRC ISBN 9781482236859
7. Ascoli G, Berzhanskaya J, Tsytsarev V. Microscopy; Elsevier Inc, Encyclopedia of Neurological Sciences, 2nd ed. (M. Aminoff & R. Daroff, Eds.) 2014
1. Wang Y, Tsytsarev V (Co-First author), Liao LD; In Vivo Laser Speckle Contrast Imaging of 4-Aminopyridine- or Pentylenetetrazole-Induced Seizures. APL Bioengineering; August 2023, In Press
2. Pais-Vieira M, Aksenova T, Tsytsarev V, Faber J. Editorial: Sensorimotor decoding: characterization and modeling for rehabilitation and assistive technologies. Front Hum Neurosci. 2023 Jul 18;17:1243226. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2023.1243226.
3. Sibarov DA, Tsytsarev V, Volnova A, Vaganova AN, Alves J, Rojas L, Sanabria P, Ignashchenkova A, Savage ED, Inyushin M.Arc protein, a remnant of ancient retrovirus, forms virus-like particles, which are abundantly generated by neurons during epileptic seizures, and affects epileptic susceptibility in rodent models. Front Neurol. 2023; 7;14:1201104. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2023.1201104.
4. Alves JM, Inyushin M, Tsytsarev V, Roldan-Kalil JA, Miranda-Valentin E, Maldonado-Martinez G, Ramos-Feliciano KM, Hunter-Mellado R. Adjuvant effect of dendritic cells activator Imiquimod in genetic immunization with HIV-1 p55 Gag. J Immunol Tech Infect Dis. 2023;12(1):330.
5. Plachez C, Tsytsarev V, Zhao S, Erzurumlu RS. Amyloid Deposition and Dendritic Complexity of Corticocortical Projection Cells in Five Familial Alzheimer’s Disease Mouse. Neuroscience. 2023 Feb 21;512:85-98. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2022.12.013.
6. Tsytsarev V, Kwon SE, Plachez C, Zhao S, O’Connor DH, Erzurumlu RS; Layers 3 and 4 Neurons of the Bilateral Whisker-Barrel Cortex; Neuroscience; 2022 20;S0306-4522(22)00254-8. PMID: 35598701 DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2022.05.018
7. Plachez C, Tsytsarev V (Co-First author), Kwon SE, Zhao S, Erzurumlu RS; Amyloid deposition and dendritic complexity of corticocortical projection cells in 5xFAD mouse; Neuroscience; DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2022.12.013
8. Roldan-Kalil J, Zueva L, Alves J, Tsytsarev V, Sanabria P, Inyushin M. Amount of Melanin Granules in Human Hair Defines the Absorption and Conversion to Heat of Light Energy in the Visible Spectrum. Photochem Photobiol. 2022, doi: 10.1111/php.13744.
9. Zueva L, Zayas-Santiago A, Rojas L, Sanabria P, Alves J, Tsytsarev V, Inyushin M. Multilayer subwavelength gratings or sandwiches with periodic structure shape light reflection in the tapetum lucidum of taxonomically diverse vertebrate animals. J Biophotonics. 2022 Mar 3:e202200002. doi: 10.1002/jbio.202200002
10. Tsytsarev V. Methodological aspects of studying the mechanisms of consciousness. Behav Brain Res. 2022 Feb 15;419:113684.
11. Volnova A, Tsytsarev V, Ganina O, Vélez-Crespo GE, Alves JM, Ignashchenkova A, Inyushin M. The Anti-Epileptic Effects of Carbenoxolone In Vitro and In Vivo. Int J Mol Sci. 2022 Jan 8;23(2):663.
12. Chen Z, Tsytsarev V (Co-First author), Finfrock Y, Antipova O, Cai Z, Arakawa H, Lischka F, Hooks B, Wilton R, Wang D, Liu Y, Gaitan B, Tao Y, Chen Y, Erzurumlu R, Yang H, Rozhkova E. Wireless Optogenetic Modulation of Cortical Neurons Enabled by Radioluminescent Nanoparticles; ACS Nano; Mar 23;15(3):5201-5208, 2021
13. Volnova A, Tsytsarev V, Ptukha M, Inyushin M; In Vitro and In Vivo Study of the Short-Term Vasomotor Response during Epileptic Seizures; Brain Sci. 2020, 10(12), 942
14. Tang Q, Tsytsarev V (Co-First author), Yan F, Wang C, Erzurumlu R, Chen Y; In Vivo Voltage-Sensitive Dye Imaging of Mouse Cortical Activity with Mesoscopic Optical Tomography; Neurophotonics; 2020;7(4):041402
15. Muller BJ, Zhdanov AV, Borisov SM, Foley T, Okkelman IA, Tsytsarev V, Tang Q, Erzurumlu RS, Chen Y, Zhang H, Toncelli C, Klimant I, Papkovsky DB, Dmitriev RI; Nanoparticle-Based Fluoroionophore for Analysis of Potassium Ion Dynamics in 3D Tissue Models and In Vivo; Adv. Funct. Mater. 2018, 1704598
16. Tsytsarev V, Arakawa H, Zhao S Chedotal A, Erzurumlu RS. Behavioral consequences of a bifacial map in the mouse somatosensory cortex, J Neurosci. 2017, 37(30):7209-7218
17. Lee LJ, Tsytsarev V, Erzurumlu RS Structural and functional differences in the barrel cortex of Mecp2 null mice. J Comp Neurol. 2017; 15;525(18):3951-3961
18. Kwon SE, Tsytsarev V, Erzurumlu RS, O’Connor DH. Organization of orientation- specific whisker deflection responses in layer 2/3 of mouse somatosensory cortex. Neuroscience. 2017; 4. pii: S0306-4522(17)30553-5
18. Tang Q, Liu Y, Tsytsarev V, Lin J, Wang B, Kanniyappan U, Li Z, Chen Y. High- dynamic-range fluorescence laminar optical tomography (HDR-FLOT). Biomed Opt Express. 2017; 8(4):2124-2137
20. Nag OK, Stewart MH, Deschamps JR, Susumu K, Oh E, Tsytsarev V, Tang Q, L Efros A, Vaxenburg R, Black BJ, Chen Y, O’Shaughnessy TJ, North SH, Field LD, Dawson PE, Pancrazio JJ, Medintz IL, Chen Y, Erzurumlu RS, Huston AL, Delehanty JB. Quantum Dot-Peptide-Fullerene Bioconjugates for Visualization of In Vitro and In Vivo Cellular Membrane Potential. ACS Nano. 2017 ; 27;11(6):5598-5613
21. Tsytsarev V, Akkenti F, Pumbo E, Tang Q, Chen Y, Erzurumlu RS, Papkovsky DB. Planar Implantable Sensor for In Vivo Measurement of Cellular Oxygen Metabolism in Brain Tissue. J Neurosci Methods. 2017; 20; 281:1-6
22. Nikzad S, Chen Y, Tsytsarev V, Kateb B, Grundfest W. Special Section Guest Editorial: Brain Mapping and Therapeutics. Neurophotonics. 2017;4(1):011001
23. Tang Q, Lin J, Tsytsarev V, Erzurumlu RS, Liu Y, Chena Y. Review of mesoscopic optical tomography for depth-resolved imaging of hemodynamic changes and neural activities, Neurophotonics 2017 4(1):011009
24. Gottschalk S, Fehm TF, Dean-Ben XL, Tsytsarev V, and Razansky D. Correlation between Volumetric Oxygenation Responses and Electrophysiology Identifies Deep Thalamo-Cortical Activity During Epileptic Seizures; Neurophotonics, Neurophotonics. 2017; 4(1):011007
25. Tang Q, Tsytsarev V (Co-First author), Frank A, Wu Y, Chen CW, Erzurumlu RS, Chen Y. (2016) In Vivo Mesoscopic Voltage-Sensitive Dye Imaging of Brain Activation. Sci Rep. Nature Publishing Group, 29;6:25269
26. Tsytsarev V, Pumbo E, Tang Q, Chen C-W, Kalchenko V, Chen Y. (2016) Study of the cortical representation of whisker frequency selectivity using voltage-sensitive dye optical imaging. Intravital, VOL. 5, NO. 1, e1142637
27. Tang Q, Tsytsarev V (Co-First author), Liang C-P, Akkentli F, Erzurumlu RS, ChenY. (2015) In Vivo Voltage-Sensitive Dye Imaging of Subcortical Brain Function, Sci Rep. Nature Publishing Group 2015 27;5:17325.
28. Arakawa H, Suzuki A, Zhao S, Tsytsarev S, Lo F-S, Hayashi Y, Itohara S, Iwasato T, Erzurumlu RS. (2014) Thalamic NMDA receptor function is necessary for patterning of the thalamocortical somatosensory map and for sensorimotor behaviors. J Neurosci. 3;34(36):12001-14
29. Tsytsarev V, Liao L-D, Kong KV, Liu YH, Erzurumlu RS, Olivo M and Thakor NV. (2014) Recent Progress in Voltage-Sensitive Dye Imaging for Neuroscience J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 14, 4733-4744
30. Lo FS, Akkentli F, Tsytsarev V, Erzurumlu RS. (2013) Functional significance of cortical NMDA receptors in somatosensory information processing. J Neurophysiol.110(11):2627-36
31. Tsytsarev V, Rao B, Maslov KI, Li L, Wang LV. (2013) Photoacoustic and optical coherence tomography of epilepsy with high temporal and spatial resolution and dual optical contrasts. J Neurosci Methods. J Neurosci Methods. 15;216(2):142-5
32. Tsytsarev V, Arakawa H, Borisov S, Pumbo E, Erzurumlu RS, Papkovsky DB. (2013) In vivo imaging of brain metabolism activity using a phosphorescent oxygen- sensitive probe. J Neurosci Methods. J Neurosci Methods. 15;216(2):146-51
33. Liao LD, Tsytsarev V, Delgado-Martínez I, Li ML, Erzurumlu R, Vipin A, Orellana J, Lin YR, Lai HY, Chen YY, Thakor NV. (2013) Neurovascular coupling: in vivo optical techniques for functional brain imaging. Biomed Eng Online. 30;12(1):38
34. Tsytsarev V, Bernardelli C, Maslov KI. (2012) Living Brain Optical Imaging: Technology, Methods and Applications. J of Neuroscience and Neuroengineering; 1: 180-192
35. Lenkov DN, Volnova AB, Pope ARD, Tsytsarev V. (2012) Advantages and limitations of brain imaging methods in the research of absence epilepsy in humans and animal models. J Neurosci Methods. S0165-0270(12)00443-8
36. Yao J, Xia J, Maslov K, Nasiriavanaki M, Tsytsarev V, Demchenko AV, Wang LV; (2012) Noninvasive photoacoustic computed tomography of mouse brain metabolism in vivo; Neuroimage; 64C:257-266
37. Tsytsarev V, Maslov K, Yao J, Parameswar AR, Demchenko AV, Wang LV. (2012) In vivo imaging of epileptic neuronal activity using a fluorescent deoxyglucose analog (2-NBDG); J Neurosci Methods. 203(1):136-40
38. Tsytsarev V, Hu S, Yao J, Maslov K, Barbour DL, Wang LV (2011) Cortical Microvascular Responses to Direct Electrical Stimulation: an Optical-Resolution Photoacoustic Microscopy Study. J Biomedical Optics 16(7), 076002-6
39. Tsytsarev V, Pope D, Pumbo E, Yablonskii A, Hofmann M. (2010) Study of the cortical representation of whisker directional deflection using voltage-sensitive dye optical imaging. Neuroimage. Oct 15;53(1):233-8
40. Tsytsarev V, Pope D, Pumbo E, Garver W. (2010) Intrinsic Optical Imaging of Directional Selectivity in Rat Barrel Cortex: Application of the Multidirectional Magnetic Whiskers Stimulator; J Neurosci Methods 30;189 (1):80-3
41. Tsytsarev V, Yao J, Hu S, Li L, Favazza CP, Maslov KI, Wang LV (2010). Invasive and Transcranial Photoacoustic Imaging of the Vascular Response to Brain Electrical Stimulation. Proc. SPIE, Vol. 7564, 756407
42. Li L, Rao B, Tsytsarev V, Wang LV. (2010) Integrated photoacoustic and optical coherence microscopy and its biomedical applications. in Biomedical Optics, OSA Technical Digest, Optical Society of America, BWE3
43. Hu S, Maslov K, Tsytsarev V, Wang LV, (2009) Functional transcranial brain imaging by optical-resolution photoacoustic microscopy J. Biomed. Opt. 14 (4), 501-4
44. Tsytsarev V, Fukuyama H, Pope D, Pumbo E, Kimura M. (2009) Optical imaging of interaural time difference representation in rat auditory cortex; Frontiers in Neuroengineering; 2, 1-7
45. Tsytsarev V, Premachandra K, Takeshita D, Bahar S. (2008) Imaging cortical electrical stimulation in vivo: fast intrinsic optical signal versus voltage-sensitive dyes; Optics Letters, 33; 9, 1032-1034
46. Tsytsarev V, Taketani M, Schottler F,Tanaka S, Hara M. (2006) New planar multielectrode array: recording from a rat auditory cortex. J. Neural. Eng. 3, 293–298
47. Callan D, Tsytsarev V, Hanakawa T, Callan A, Katsuhara M, Fukuyama H, Turner R. (2006) NeuroImage. Song and Speech: Brain Regions Involved with Perception and Covert Production. 31, 1327-42
48. Tsytsarev V, Kirilkin I, Khiroug L. Transcranial in vivo optical imaging using confocal microscopy (2005). J Cogn Neurosci Suppl, 31-32
49. Tsytsarev V, Yamazaki T, Ribot, J, and Tanaka S. (2004). Sound frequency representation in cat auditory cortex. NeuroImage 23, 1246–1255
50. Tsytsarev V, Tanaka S. (2003). Functional Mapping: Mapping Intrinsic Signals of the Auditory Cortex. The Journal of the Brain Science Institute of RIKEN, 10; 5
51. Tsytsarev V, Tanaka S. (2002). Intrinsic optical signals from rat primary auditory cortex in response to sound stimuli presented to contralateral, ipsilateral and bilateral ears. Neuroreport 13, 1661–1665
52. Tsytsarev V, Lenkov D, Volnova A. (1999) Effect of tetanization of the motor cortex on neuronal responses in the albino rat mesial cortex Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova 85(8) 1116-8
53. Ignashchenkova A, Tsytsarev V, Lenkov D. (1998) Study of peripheral and central inputs into the mesial cortex in adult and developing rats. Eur J Neurosci Suppl 10 : 3132
54. Inyushin M, Tsytsarev V, Ignashchenkova A, Lenkov D. (1997) Use of artificial ion channels for quasi-intracellular recording of cerebral cortex neuron activity. Neurosci Behav Physiol 27:6 702-7
55. Tsytsarev V, Ignashchenkova A. (1996). Effect of stimulation of the peripheral pathways and somatosensory cortex on the neuronal activity of the medial wall of the prefrontal cortex in the white rat. Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova. 82:1, 45-51
56. Tsytsarev V, Golikova T. (1994) The influence of cingulate cortex stimulation on the activity of neurons of the motor cortex in the white rat. Neurosci Behav Physiol.24:5 438-9
57. Tsytsarev V, Golikova T. (1993) The effect of stimulation of the cingulate cortex on the neuronal activity of the motor cortex in the white rat. Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova. 79:9, 106-8
Society for Brain Mapping and Theraputics
Society for Neuroscience