Students in the Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals program are expected to be familiar with these requirements and with the specific regulations set forth by particular programs.

Requirements for degree and certificate programs are subject to change. When this occurs, students may fulfill any set of requirements in force during their time in the program.

Note that only graduates who complete degree requirements prior to the ceremony date will be allowed to participate in Commencement activities.

Please be sure to contact us if you have additional questions or need assistance.

Advisors and Degree Audit

Students are assigned an advisor when accepted. In addition, students are strongly encouraged to contact their advisors prior to registration. Logging of course and program completion, as well as viewing of approvals and exceptions approved by a student's advisor, can be tracked through degree audit.

Academic Standing

The university reserves the right to exclude, at any time, a student whose academic standing or general conduct is deemed unsatisfactory.

Master's Degree Candidates

Only one C-range grade (C+, C, or C−) can count toward the master's degree.

Academic Probation—Any student receiving either one grade of D+, D, or F or two grades of C(+/−) during their program of study will be placed on academic probation. Students placed on probation are permitted to retake any graduate course in which they have earned a grade of C+ or below. Students may attempt no more than two retakes during their program of study at JHEP; this may be on the same course or two different courses. If a grade of B− or above is earned in the repeated course, the probationary status will be removed. Please note that not all courses are offered every term. If an additional grade below B− is received before the course is repeated and successfully completed, the student will be dismissed. Dismissal appeals may be submitted to the JHEP Student Services Office.

There are circumstances described below where students will not be placed on probation but will be immediately dismissed from the program.

Academic Dismissal—The following are causes for dismissal from the program:

  • Students already on probation receiving an additional grade of C+ or below
  • Students receiving a grade of C(+/−) and a subsequent D+, D, or F
  • Students receiving three grades of C(+/−)
  • Students receiving two grades of D+, D, or F
  • Students receiving grades of D+, D, or F and C(+/−) in the same term

Applicants who have been dismissed or suspended by any college or university, including Johns Hopkins, within the past four years are not eligible for admission.

Post-Master's Certificate or Graduate Certificate

No grade below B− can be counted toward a graduate certificate or post-master's certificate. The above policy for probation and dismissal will apply.

Special Students

The above policy for probation and dismissal applies to special students.

Second Master's Degree

After receiving a master's degree from the programs, students may continue their graduate education in a second field if the appropriate prerequisites of the new program are fulfilled.

To receive a second master's degree, all requirements for the second program must be satisfied. If the following conditions are met, up to two courses taken as part of the first degree may be applied toward requirements of the second:

  • The course(s) must satisfy the requirements of the second degree.
  • The student's advisor must approve the course(s) as appropriate to the plan of study.
  • The course(s) must fall within the five-year limit for the second degree; i.e., completion of the second degree must fall within five years from the date of the first class counted toward that degree.

Time Limitation

To be counted toward the degree or certificate, all coursework in the program must be completed within a specified period, which begins with the start of the first course in the student's program:

  • Master's degree: five years
  • Post-master's certificate: three years
  • Graduate certificate: three years

If necessary, a request for an extension, stating the extenuating circumstances, should be submitted in writing to the relevant program committee at least one semester before the student otherwise would be expected to graduate.

Leave of Absence

Students who do not plan to enroll in classes for a period of more than one year must notify the Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals admissions office in writing and request a leave of absence for a specified period of time. The appropriate program chair will make the decision to approve or not approve the request.

Students who are granted a leave of absence must resume their studies at the end of the allotted leave time. If warranted, the time permitted to complete degree requirements will be extended by the length of time granted for the leave of absence. Students who do not resume their studies after a leave of absence has expired, or who have not enrolled for more than one year without having requested a leave of absence, will assume the status of a student who has withdrawn from the program. Such students must reapply and are subject to the admission requirements in force at the date of the new application. Acceptance is not guaranteed for students previously admitted. Courses taken prior to the interruption of studies will not count toward program requirements if they are not completed within the time allowed for degree completion.

Transferability of Courses

Courses successfully completed through Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals may be transferred to other institutions. Transferability is solely at the discretion of the accepting institution.

Transfer Courses

Requests to transfer courses from another institution toward the master's degree and certificate will be considered on an individual basis. A maximum of two Engineering for Professionals master's degree course requirements and one Engineering for Professionals certificate course requirement may be waived with documentation and approval of outside coursework. No request will be considered for courses taken more than five years prior to the start of the Engineering for Professionals program. Transfer courses must be graduate-level, credit-bearing from an accredited institution, and directly applicable to the student’s program of study at Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals. Continuing Education Unit (CEU) courses are not eligible for transfer. Requests should be submitted in writing to the Admissions Office at the Dorsey Student Services Center. An official transcript and course description for the course to be transferred are both required. Requests to transfer courses cannot be processed if the transcript is not official. The fee for transfer is $425 per course.

After being accepted into a Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals program of study, students may not take classes at another institution for transfer back to their Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals program. Courses successfully completed at Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals may be accepted for transfer credit at other institutions, but such transferability is solely at the discretion of the accepting institution.

Whiting School of Engineering Policy on Double-Counting Courses

The Whiting School of Engineering has established the following policies on double-counting coursework for all students in the full-time (Homewood) programs and the part-time Engineering for Professionals programs. If an individual program adopts double-counting policies more strict than these, the program's policies override the school-wide policies. Students are encouraged to refer to individual program policies.

Bachelor's-Master's Double Counting Coursework Applied to a Bachelor’s Degree

Students either in a Whiting School of Engineering combined (bachelor's/master's) program or seeking a Whiting School of Engineering master's degree after having earned a Whiting School of Engineering or Krieger School of Arts and Sciences bachelor’s degree may double-count two courses (graduate-level) to both programs with the permission of the master’s faculty advisor. Whiting School of Engineering master's degree candidates may not double-count courses applied to a bachelor's degree earned at a different institution. Individual graduate programs reserve the right to enforce stricter policies.

Coursework Not Applied to a Bachelor's Degree

For students who are either in a Whiting School of Engineering combined bachelor's/master's degree program or have already earned a Whiting School of Engineering or Krieger School of Arts and Sciences bachelor’s degree and are seeking a Whiting School of Engineering master's degree, any graduate-level coursework (as defined by the Whiting School of Engineering graduate program) not applied to the undergraduate degree may be applied to the graduate degree, regardless of when that course was taken (i.e., before or after the undergraduate degree has been conferred) with the permission of the master's faculty advisor.

For students who earned an undergraduate degree outside of the Whiting School of Engineering or the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, no coursework completed before the undergraduate degree was conferred can be applied to a Whiting School of Engineering master's degree, regardless of whether that course was applied to the undergraduate degree.

Master's-Master's Double Counting Coursework Applied to a Master's Degree

Students pursuing (1) a Whiting School of Engineering master's and a master's from any JHU school simultaneously, (2) a Whiting School of Engineering master's after having earned a master's from any JHU school, or (3) a Whiting School of Engineering master's degree after having earned a master's degree from another institution, may double-count either two semester-length courses or three quarter-length courses across two master's programs, as long as the courses are equivalent to the graduate-level or higher in Whiting School of Engineering full-time graduate programs. The student must receive approval from both master's degree program faculty advisors if both sets of degree requirements will be completed at the same time. For a student to double-count coursework from two master's degrees whose requirements are met at different times, the student must obtain only the approval of the faculty advisor in the program to be finished second. Individual graduate programs reserve the right to enforce stricter policies.

Timing and Ramifications for Current Students

This policy will be applied to all students entering a Whiting School of Engineering master's program in fall 2007 and beyond. Any student who has entered a Whiting School of Engineering master's program before then will be exempt from this policy and should follow the course arrangement made with his/her advisor, provided it is in compliance with departmental, school, and university requirements.

Declaration of Double-Counted Course

Whiting School of Engineering master's students wishing to double-count courses must submit these courses to the Whiting School of Engineering master's program for approval. If it is learned that a student has double-counted a course for the Whiting School of Engineering master's degree without permission of the Whiting School of Engineering master's program, this program reserves the right to revoke the degree.

Double‐Counting Across Three or More Programs

With bachelor's‐master's and master's‐master's double‐counting, across any number of degree programs, a student can reduce the number of master’s courses required by up to two (with approval of the programs involved). Beyond that, the remaining courses must be unique to the degree program. With a ten‐course master's degree program, for example, eight of those courses must be unique to the program and not applied to a different degree at any level. A student can double‐count any number of undergraduate courses to the various master's degrees (but at most, two to each master's program), and he/she can double‐count the same course across any number of degrees pursued (again, with the approval of the programs involved).


Students who expect to receive a degree or certificate must submit an application for graduation. The graduation application should be submitted during the final term in which degree requirements will be completed. Instructions for completing the graduation application can be found by logging into SIS and clicking on the program of study.

Students who are planning to graduate should complete all coursework on time and should not request to receive the grade of I (incomplete) during their final semester.

Approximately two months after the semester begins, students who have submitted the application for graduation receive a preliminary letter stating that their names have been placed on the tentative graduation list for the semester in which they anticipate completing their degree requirements.

Commencement information is sent the first week in March. To receive their diplomas, students must pay all student accounts in full and resolve all outstanding charges of misconduct and violations of academic integrity. Students will receive an e-bill notification in the spring from Student Accounts. The e-bill will be sent to the student's preferred e-mail account. For graduation fees, see the Tuition and Fees page. Johns Hopkins University diplomas indicate the school (e.g., Whiting School of Engineering), degree, and major (e.g., Master of Science-Computer Science) without identifying the student’s focus area/track.


Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals students will graduate with honors if they have earned an A+, A, or A− in all courses taken between admission and graduation from the program. Any other grade except a withdrawal or audit will disqualify students from receiving honors. The designation “Honors” will appear on student transcripts.

Grading System

The following grades are used for the courses: A+, A, A− (excellent), B+, B, B− (good), C+, C, C−, D+, D (unsatisfactory), F (failure), I (incomplete), W (official withdrawal), and AU (audit). The last two are not assigned by instructors.

A grade of F indicates the student's failure to complete or comprehend the coursework. A course for which an unsatisfactory grade (C+ through F) has been received may be retaken. The original grade is replaced with an R. If the failed course includes laboratory work, both the lecture and laboratory work must be retaken unless the instructor indicates otherwise. A grade of W is issued to those who have dropped the course after the refund period (the sixth class meeting for on-site courses) but before the drop deadline.

The transcript is part of the student's permanent record at the university. No grade may be changed except to correct an error, to replace an incomplete with a grade, or to replace a grade with an R.

The Whiting School assumes that students possess acceptable written command of the English language. It is proper for faculty to consider writing quality when assigning grades.


A grade of incomplete (I) is assigned when a student fails to complete a course on time for valid reasons, usually under circumstances beyond his or her control.

Conditions for resolving an incomplete are established by the instructor. A final grade must be submitted to the Registrar within four weeks after the start of the following term. A grade of F will be assigned if the incomplete work is not submitted by the deadline. For academic year 2018–2019, the dates by which final grades for incomplete work must be resolved are as follows:

  • Summer term: September 25
  • Fall term: February 19
  • Spring term: June 24

Students who expect to complete degree requirements but have an incomplete are not certified for graduation until the end of the following term.

Grade Reports

At the midpoint of each term, instructors are requested to provide a list of students whose work at that time is unsatisfactory. Students are notified by the Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals Student Services staff if their names are reported so they can take corrective action. These early reports are for the benefit of students and their advisors and are not part of the permanent record.

Grades are available online through SIS. These reports cannot be requested by telephone or personal inquiry. Students with questions regarding their grade reports or who want their transcripts sent to other institutions should make arrangements with the Office of the Registrar, 410-516-7088.

Grade Appeals

A student's concerns regarding grades must be first discussed thoroughly with his or her instructor. If the student and the instructor are unable to reach an agreement, the student may appeal the instructor's decision, in writing, to the appropriate program chair, and, finally, to the associate dean. At each review level, evaluation criteria will be limited to (1) verification that there was not an error in recording the grade and (2) verification that the grade was determined on the basis of considered academic judgment. Grade appeals must be initiated within one term after completing the course in question.

Student Attendance

Students are expected to regularly attend all courses in which they are enrolled. Although Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals and the university have no specific rules governing absences, the course instructor may announce certain attendance requirements. It is the student's responsibility to be aware of those requirements. Students who know they will be absent from class, especially for an extended period of time, should notify the instructor as far in advance as possible. It is the student's responsibility to discuss missed assignments and exams with the instructor. If an instructor is unavoidably late for class, the site office will attempt to notify students and tell them to wait, if it is practical. If an instructor is unable to meet a class, every attempt will be made by Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals staff to inform students of the cancellation, a makeup time for the class (if available), and information regarding assignments. If an instructor informs the Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals office of a class cancellation with enough lead time, phone calls will be made to students.

Academic Misconduct

Please also review the General Graduate Student Policies page on the Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs website.

The Roles of Students and Faculty

Academic misconduct by graduate students is unacceptable. It is the responsibility of all graduate students to adhere to strict standards of integrity in their professional and scholarly activities, as well as to high standards of conduct in their nonacademic activities, and students are encouraged to report known or suspected acts of misconduct. It is the responsibility of the faculty and other supervisors of scholarly activities to monitor carefully the academic and other scholarly activities of graduate students under their supervision and to subject these activities to rigorous evaluation.

Procedures for Resolving

If a student is suspected of academic misconduct, the faculty member responsible for the course in which the misconduct allegedly occurred must review the facts of the case promptly with the student. If, after speaking with the student and any witnesses, the faculty member believes that academic misconduct has occurred, the faculty member must immediately contact their Academic Integrity Officer or designee to (a) determine whether the offense is a first offense or a subsequent offense, and (b) review the options and procedures available under this policy.

Copyright Violations

Copying, downloading, or distributing music, videos, software, games, or other copyrighted materials without permission of the owner violates both federal law and university policy and will be submitted for disciplinary action.

Original works fixed in any tangible medium of expression, which includes storage within computers, are copyrighted to the author from the moment of creation. No notice of copyright is required. Except under limited circumstances for limited purposes, you may not make or distribute copies of material belonging to others without their permission. Unless a site specifically grants you permission to download and copy material from the site, you should assume that you cannot do so. You should also assume that all person-to-person sharing of music, programs, videos, and software is a violation of copyright. Copyright violations will be submitted for disciplinary action.

Computer Usage

Because Johns Hopkins University Office of Information Technology updates its policies frequently, please visit its website for the latest information on usage and security. The following includes key elements of the policy, which is posted in all Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals computer labs.

Acceptable use of IT resources is use that is consistent with Johns Hopkins' missions of education, research, service, and patient care and is legal, ethical, and honest; it must respect intellectual property, ownership of data, system security mechanisms, and individuals' rights to privacy and freedom from intimidation, harassment, and annoyance; it must show consideration in the consumption and utilization of IT resources; and it must not jeopardize Johns Hopkins' not-for-profit status. Incidental personal use of IT resources is permitted if consistent with applicable Johns Hopkins University and divisional policy, and if such use is reasonable, not excessive, and does not impair work performance or productivity.

Please visit the Johns Hopkins University Office of Information Technology for additional information on unacceptable use of IT resources.