Dr. Zhiyong Xia is the branch chief scientist and a principal professional staff in JHU/APL’s REDD department. Dr. Xia has an extensive experience in polymeric materials, elastomers, hydrogels, nanocomposites, membrane technologies, and biomaterials for a wide range of applications. Dr. Xia has more than 90 technical papers in novel materials field and 15 granted US patents.
- Ph D Mechanical Engineering, Texas A and M University
Principal Professional Staff, JHU Applied Physics Laboratory
(1) Jesse Ko, Nam Le, Danielle Schlesinger, James Johnson, Zhiyong Xia “Novel niobium doped titanium oxide towards electrochemical destruction of forever chemicals” Scientific Reports 2021, 11, 18020, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-97596-7
(2) Zhiyong Xia, Tessa Van Volkenburg, Jenny Boothby, Jarod Gagnon, Emil McDowell, Luke Currano and Morgana Trexler “Untethered Autonomous Soft Robotics” Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest 35(2021)457.
(3) J. Boothby, J. Gagnon, E. McDowell, T. VanVolkenburg, L. Currano, Z. Xia, “An Untethered Soft Robot Based on Liquid Crystal Elastomers” Soft Robotics 2021, http://doi.org/10.1089/soro.2020.0135.
(4) Jesse Ko, James Johnson, Phil Johnson and Zhiyong Xia “Decoupling Oxygen and Chlorine Evolution Reactions in Seawater using Iridium-based Electrocatalysts” ChemCatChem 2020, 12, 4526– 4532. https://doi.org/10.1002/cctc.202000653
(5) Zhiyong Xia, Douglas B. Trigg, Timothy J. Montalbano & Daniel Rose (2020) “Thermoplastic Elastomer Phase Changing Materials for Stiffness Modulation” Journal of Macromolecular Science, Part B, DOI: 10.1080/00222348.2020.1730583
(6) Matthew W Logan, Spencer Langevin, Zhiyong Xia “Reversible Atmospheric Water Harvesting Using Metal-Organic Frameworks” Scientific Reports 2020, 10 (1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-58405-9
(7) Jennifer Boothby, Tessa VanVolkenburg, Nam Le, Korine Ohiri, Matthew Hagedon, Zhiyong Xia “Effects of network structure on the mechanical and thermal responses of liquid crystal elastomers” Multifunctional Materials 2020, 3, 015002. https://doi.org/10.1088/2399-7532/ab6d1e.
(8) J. K. Johnson, C. M. Hoffman, Jr., D. A. Smith and Z. Xia “Advanced Filtration Membranes for the Removal of Perfluoroalkyl Species from Water” ACS Omega 2019, 4, 8001−8006, DOI: 10.1021/acsomega.9b00314.
(9) D. M. Lewis, H. Pruitt, N. Jain, M. Ciccaglione, J. McCaffery, Z. Xia, K. Weber, T. Eisinger-Mathason and S. Gerecht “A feedback loop between hypoxia and matrix stress relaxation increases oxygen-axis 1migration and metastasis in sarcoma” Cancer Research 2019, 79(8)1981-1995; DOI: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-18-198.
(10) M. Trexler, C. Hoffman, D. Smith, T. Montalbano, M. Yeager, D. Trigg, S. Nimer, X. Calderon-Colon, C. Peitsch and Z. Xia “Synthesis and Mechanical Properties of Para-Aramid Nanofibers” Journal of Polymer Science B-Physics 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/polb.24810.
Honors and Awards
- JHUAPL Invention of the Year Awards (2015 and 2020)
BP group-Helios Innovation Award 2010 (2020)
American Chemical Society (ACS)