Led by expert engineers and scientists, gain the in-demand skills to tackle the most pressing challenges in the industry from nanotechnology to electrochemistry. Whether you work in the field of transportation, communication, biomedicine, aerospace, or energy, our program broadens your ability to design improved materials for use in multiple industries. The advanced and modern curriculum capitalizes on the profound research and expertise of the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab and the Johns Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute.
This highly collaborative and hands-on program gives you the opportunity to:
- Master the connections between materials’ structure and performance.
- Learn how newly engineered materials can be used in modern technologies.
- Apply the structure, thermodynamics, and kinetics of materials to the design of new engineering materials and to the development of advanced characterization methods.
- Be prepared to lead with confidence with knowledge you can incorporate immediately in your work.
- Enjoy the flexibility of learning while working.
We offer one program option for Materials Science and Engineering; you can earn a Master of Materials Science and Engineering on-site.
Materials Science and Engineering Courses
Get details about course requirements, prerequisites, concentrations, focus areas, and electives offered within the program. All courses are taught by subject-matter experts who are executing the technologies and techniques they teach. For exact dates, times, locations, fees, and instructors, please refer to the course schedule published each term.
When ambition meets opportunity, anything is possible. Earn your degree on your terms at Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals.
Find out when registration opens, classes start, transcript deadlines and more. Applications are accepted year-round, so you can apply any time.